German White Garlic
German White Garlic
Welcome the German White Garlic, a farm's treasure that combines simplicity in cultivation with a powerhouse of flavor. This hardneck garlic variety is a European classic, known for its vigor and robust taste that has spiced up many dishes around the globe. With its impressive cold resistance and generous yield of plump, rich cloves, German White Garlic truly captures the essence of nature's brilliance. At Farm on Central, its one of our top varieties, witnessing its consistent growth season after season. How does it compare to Music? These varieties bear a close resemblance, though the German White has marginally more cloves that are a tad smaller.
Large size, 2" plus heads
- Grown using Organic systems: Free from synthetic interventions, this garlic benefits from the holistic approach of regenerative systems, which enriches the soil, invigorates plant growth and preserves a balanced ecosystem.
- Historical Notes: Rooted in European traditions, German White Garlic has been a staple in culinary practices, renowned for its well-rounded flavor profile.
- Bulb Details: 2" size heads, anticipate approximately 6-8 bulbs per pound, translating to 35-45 cloves. This quantity suffices to plant around 15-24 linear feet with a 6” spacing.
- Inspected & Clean: Rest easy knowing each bulb undergoes meticulous inspection, ensuring they're free from mites and other diseases.
- Planting Time: Best results are achieved when cloves are planted in fall, about 4-6 weeks before the onset of frost. Many growers swear by Columbus Day.
- Spacing: Space cloves 4-6 inches apart and 3-4 rows per bed 6-8" between rows.
- Depth: Each clove should be positioned with its pointed end skywards, buried roughly 2 inches deep.
- Care: Regular watering is paramount, more so during dry stretches. Mulching proves advantageous for moisture retention and inhibiting weeds.
- Harvest: By mid-summer, when most of the lower leaves adopt a brownish hue, it's harvest time. Extract with care by digging and subsequently allow the garlic to cure in a location offering both dryness and ventilation.
Usage Tips: German White Garlic doesn't shy away in flavor. It boldly accentuates various dishes, from your comforting soups and sizzling roasts to zesty salads. Its intensity surpasses your average garlic, and a word from our kitchen? It's delightful as garlic salt. Also, keep an eye out for those springtime scapes - an absolute treat!
The bulbs were beautiful! Clean and uniform cloves. I look forward to seeing them come up in the spring!